Quick hit post today, for those who don’t know this already. I’m still kinda new to this whole Blackboard Admin thing (only about 18 months in), so this was a new question and a new answer for me.
The question: I want to set my old discussion forums so that students can still review the discussions but not contribute any new posts to the forum.
Good question! By default, Blackboard allows you to disable a forum or make it invisible to students, but to make a forum still available in a “read-only” mode isn’t a quick and simple operation…. or is it?
As demonstrated in the video above, an instructor can make a discussion forum “read-only” by doing the following:
- Go to the Discussions area of the course.
- Click on the Action Arrow for the forum they want to make read-only, and click on Manage.
- Click on the checkbox in the header of the participant list to select all participants.
- Click on the Edit Role dropdown menu and select “Reader”.
- This will set the discussion to “archived” for all users. They will be able to view old posts, but can’t contribute any new posts to the forum.
Til next time…. if you’ve got any comments, concerns, questions, or (gentle) criticisms, hit me up!